Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ooooooh, I like this!

So, I have a friend whose sister is soon to have a baby girl. This soon-to-be new mama, loves purple. And my friend has asked me to make a dress for the new baby.
All she asked for is something with chicks smocked on it and it needed to PURPLE. I convinced her that a newborn would look better in white with lavender accents in the smocking. Here is the smocking.
I use this tiny trim on baby dresses quite often. It is available from many places; I usually buy mine from Old Fashioned Baby because Jeannie always has it in stock. I like it because it is sweet, simple and soft. I really don't like lace near a baby if it is scratchy.

I'm sure many of you have seen the technique of using entredeux and threading floss through the little holes, like beading. This is a very pretty technique and a nice way to pick up the colors of your smocking. However,  entredeux is a bit stiff for the edge of a smocked baby sleeve. Soooooo, I attached this sweet little edging by hand, and then threaded it with one strand of lavender floss. I love how this looks and my "client" will love the additional purple. Here is the sleeve. I will do this on the collar as well.

I wish you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year, which will include lots of smocking, sewing,embroidery, knitting and spinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment